Pages

"God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good." Genesis 1:31

Monday, January 26, 2009

Gardening

You know for years as a kid my family would garden. My mom every summer would can everything in sight for the up coming winter. At the time I really didn't understand why, I was a kid all I cared about was playing outside and having fun LOL! Now that I am older I understand, it saves money on your budget, also is better for the environment, and you know how its been maintained, and made.
By having a garden I think it would benefit my family a lot. How do I mean exactly, well some of you know that my youngest son has food allergies. We have been having trouble lately with brands of sauces (we have been buying for a while too) changing the ingredients but not the label for allergy info. A spaghetti sauce from Wal-Mart that we have gotten for sometime has started putting cheese and milk products in the sauce, unless you read the ingredients you would never know it is there, the label has no info on it about possible allergens. By growing tomatoes we could make our own sauces, salsa, and ketchup. Savings in those products alone would help the old budget as we use quite a bit. The other is we wouldn't be buying into the transportation cost to have it delivered to our local stores. We can also keep tabs on what kinds of fertilizers and insecticides are used. I want to go as organic as possible. By not buying into the transportation of these products it helps reduce carbon footprints.
The other reason I would like to grow a garden is for freezing foods for the upcoming winter. This will also help with our budget, by not having to buy vegetables canned or frozen, onions, herbs, potatoes, and such having them all in the freezer already. I think my stress level at the store will be better to not always wondering have I got everything, did I leave anything off the list before I go. I might actually get in and out a store without breaking the bank. Gardening is a great way to help the environment and you pocket book too. I know the start up of it might strain it a bit but we will reap the rewards in no time. It will also give my 8 year old something to do to (he wants to be a chef), he can help weed and harvest. So think about it if you can why not do it!!!!!

No comments: